Aloha all MTB/Cycling Enthusiasts,
The North Shore Bike Park @ Turtle Bay presents the rebirth of the “Honu Festival”. On January 22, 2017, this cycling event will feature several types of races, a cyclo-cross race in the morning followed by a kid’s mountain bike trail race in the afternoon, with the adults to follow.
Also, new this year is our E-bike trail race to close the event. Classes/divisions will be dependent upon the number of registered racers. We are also allowing mountain bikes to enter in the cyclo-cross event and vice versa. So, if you are down for a day of riding, this is your chance to try 2 different disciplines in one day.
For those who are not planning to race, you will still be able to ride the trails during the rest breaks between events. There will be a limited supply of bikes available for rent for those that have friends or family that want to experience the bike park trails, or simply ride along the beautiful beach coast. Most of all, this will be a day of riding and/or relaxing at the North Shore Bike Park and Turtle Bay Resort.
For those interested in taking a little staycation, Turtle Bay Resort is offering up Kama’aina rates that start at $199 for that weekend if anyone is interested.
When: Sunday, January 22, 2017
Where: Turtle Bay Resort (North Shore Bike Park)
Parking: Take the immediate left after the security booth and follow event signage
-Cyclo-Cross registration: 8:00-8:45am, Race starts promptly at 9:00am
-Kids MTB trail race registration: 9:30-10:45am, race starts promptly at 11:00am
-Adult MTB trail race registration: 9:30-10:45am, following the kids race, approx. 1:00pm
-E-Bike trail race registration: 11:00-1:00pm, following the MTB race, approx. 2:30pm
-Clean up 4:00pm
-Cross: 1 lap on Kawela side then cross to Marconi side 4 laps
-Kids: Time Trial (1 rider off every minute) one Loop of the Magic Bus trail
-Mountain Bike: Using all three trails, Banyan, Kawela, and Magic Bus (45 minutes plus one lap)
-E-Bike: Using all three trails Banyan, Kawela, and Magic Bus (45 minutes plus one lap)
Cost: $10/single race, or $5 each race for multiple race participants
North Shore Bike Park
Check out this video Jody Des Roches made of OMTBO’s and IMBA’s Take a Kid Mountain Biking Day event, held at Turtle Bay’s North Shore Bike Park: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cnP1aNOuc4
We plan to do at least two #TKMBD events in 2017, be sure not to miss the next one!
As announced previously, and at the OMTBO Annual Meeting on June 2, 2016, OMTBO is seeking Board Member nominations for Board elections. You may be nominate anyone, including yourself, and do not need to be a member. We ask that you send an email with: 1. Full Name of nominee, 2. Phone number, 3. Email address to email@example.com by June 9th, 2016. After that date, the nomination committee will contact nominees to ensure they are interested, if interested, nominees will be asked to become a member if not already, and if desired may submit a written statement up to page in length detailing any skills, history, or interests that the nomination committee should be aware of.
OMTBO Board Member Needs
- Fundraising coordinator – background in sales or non-profit fundraising. Familiar with strategy and timing for appeals to support annual fund, trail fund, general fund.
- Trail Crew leader – Background in Leadership, trail building, passion for the perfect trail and safety. Likes to organize and oversee trail work events.
- Events coordinator – Organize small team to promote and market events. Ride n Grind fun rides, poker ride, Mountain bike skills events, Take a kid mountain biking event.
- Sponsorship coordinator – Background and many contacts in the local outdoor/cycling industry. Will work closely with events coordinator.
- Bike skills educator – Background in teaching mountain bike skills, bike ed. Willing to obtain training certification through IMBA. Likes to share the passion for Mountain Biking.
- Political coordinator – Connected to local politics at the city/county and state level. Would be searching out funding and coordinating proposals with decision makers to promote mountain biking as both a viable outdoor sport and potential tourism draw. (May coordinate federal campaigns with IMBA)
- Membership coordinator – Focused on maintaining and expanding membership levels. Great at outreach through email and social media campaigns. Listens to membership and reports to board what the community wants.
There may be more that are not on this list. If you see a need, please work with us to fill it. This is your organization. Be a part of it!
General outreach – We hope every member will take this to heart. This is an all volunteer organization that is focused on maintaining and opening new opportunities on Oahu for mountain biking. Be happy when you meet others on trails. Be positive when talking about other mountain bikers. Welcome new riders to the sport. Use courtesy when using trails, both on trails and at the trail head.
Aloha Mountain Bike Ohana
You’re invited, please save the date and join us!
What: OmtbO Annual Meeting – Your voice for mountain biking on Oahu
When: June 2nd, 2016 7-8:30PM
Where: Makiki District park arts room (look for signs)
Why: Set the direction for OmtbO for the coming year
Program: Come and help elect your board, set up committees, have your voice heard, lead mountain biking into the next phase on Oahu
Ohana Trail Users:
Most of the drains and switch berms at the top of the new section have been raked and repaired, some in the pouring rain this afternoon. They are extremely soft from the rain and need a few days to dry without any ruts or tracks to retain their optimal shape and drainage. Please avoid the upper new section until it can dry properly, probably 2 -3 days at least. Sticks, logs, and rocks were removed as well, these are temporary fixes that may provide immediate relief from the mud but ultimately compromise the proper drainage of the trail and hold more water than dirt alone. Please don’t modify the drains with these objects, if it’s that wet, then it’s too wet to ride. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.